Sunday, August 17, 2008

Old Fashioned Cobbler



The one thing I can say about this stuff is that when you say the word "cobbler" everybody visualizes something different. In certain parts of the U.S. people actually argue about it! Some people see one crust, some people see two. To me the two crust variety is called a pie! Some people like a biscuit topping. To be honest with you, I think they all taste wonderful, but this one is my favorite because it is buttery and so easy to make. First you dump the batter on top of the pool of melted butter, now don't you mix it! Next you plop your fruit on top of the batter and then you bake it and the butter and the batter kind of hug the fruit.....OK, OK, I'll stop..the recipe is below, you get the idea....I know you can read. You can make this stuff in "nothing flat" if you want something sweet for yourself and it is homey and wonderful for guests too!

I've made this with all types of cooking apples. They need sauteing first so adding them lengthens the recipe a little bit but don't let that stop you. In the fall the combination of apples, brown sugar, dried cranberries and pecans is unbeatable topped with vanilla ice cream and drizzled with caramel sauce. I've used blueberries, raspberries, peaches and a bunch of other fruit combinations. Use your imagination! If you mess up, well, don't tell Martha. Nobody else will care! Better yet, send her a letter, I'm sure she will be able to tell you how to fix it.

This is comfort food no matter how you slice it! It can be eaten hot in the winter, with a steaming cup of cider, room temperature and bursting with the flavor of the day's fresh picked blueberries in the summer, and any time of year out of the pan at 2:30 in the morning when everyone else is sleeping. Oh come on, don't tell me I'm the only one who does that?


Old Fashioned Cobbler

¼ lb. butter
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
½ cup milk

Fruit of your choice

Apple – Sauté 1 ¾ lbs. peeled, cored and sliced apples in 4 tablespoons of butter. Stir in ¼ cup brown sugar, 1 cup dried cranberries, 1 cup pecans and sprinkle with cinnamon if you like.

Blueberry or Raspberry – Mix 1 ½ pints blueberries or raspberries with 1/2 cup sugar and ½ tsp cinnamon.

Peach/Raspberry – Mix 2 or 3 large, cut up, fresh peaches and 1 pint fresh raspberries with ½ cup sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon and 1/8 tsp nutmeg.


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt butter and pour into bottom of a 9 x 9 pan. Mix remaining ingredients and dump on top of melted butter. You may have to spread it out a bit but please, do not stir them together. Place fruit in middle of puddle of batter and bake for about 45 -50 minutes, or until the batter has climbed up the sides and enveloped the fruit. The edges will be crispy and buttery and the center will be sweet and fruity.

6 comments:

  1. Mmmmmmm. This looks so good! Wish I had some right now - my vanilla ice cream is so lonely! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sandy - You are my very first comment and I am glad you like the recipe! I hope you get a chance to make it before you run out of the vanilla. Thanks for the kind words!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The peaches on my counter are just begging to be included in a cobbler like this. Thanks for the inspiration and motivation to turn on my oven.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Thanks LIR! Still amazed that anyone can find me. Especially someone that I read all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is mouth-watering - and seems so simple!!

    Me and my dad didn't enjoy the same experience of, how do I put this - edible-ness? That you did, however. Wanna take a look?

    http://ifoundafish.wordpress.com/2008/09/03/who-let-dad-loose-in-the-kitchen

    Go on. I dare you not to laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww, it's cute! I love the little people.If he is willing to try again, tell him the fruit goes on top of the batter and then when it bakes, the batter will bubble up through the fruit. I'll bet it still tasted great? Maybe? What a trooper Dad is!

    I'd kill for a piece of that banana cake right about now BTW!

    ReplyDelete