Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Not So Giant, Soft Ginger Cookies

If I were a cookie, I think this is the kind of cookie that I would be. A Not-So-Giant, Soft Ginger Cookie.It is small and spicy. It is crispy on the outside, but soft on the inside. This is my cookie, believe me! Yeah, yeah, stop shaking your head! You could be a cookie too! Just think about it. You don't have to admit it, but think about it!

The original recipe called for these cookies to be larger. When you make them larger, they are even chewier and obviously they are bigger, but they wouldn't suit my purpose in this case. These are my Operation Baking GALS cookies for October. I wanted to have more cookies instead of bigger cookies, so I made them smaller. Putting them in a mailing container and sending them who-knows-where is smarter if they are 2 inches in diameter as opposed to 4 inches in diameter, right? Can you see 6 guys around a plastic container filled with cookie crumbs? All I could suggest at that point would be six spoons and a quart of milk :)

Maybe someone who eats these cookies will be from New England like I am. Maybe the thought of falling leaves and pumpkins and a New England stranger who wishes them well will make them smile. It doesn't really matter where they are from. Hopefully someone gets some joy from these.

When my kids were little, I used to bake these and have them warm for them when they got off the bus in the Fall. They carry a little bit of nostalgia for me. Alright, enough waxing philosophical. Here's the recipe.

Ginger Cookies

4 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon (ground)
1 teaspoon cloves (ground)
1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon Ginger (ground)
1 1/2 cups shortening
2 eggs
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup molasses

Sanding or Demerara sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Blend flour, baking soda, salt and spices and set aside.

Beat shortening and 2 cups sugar until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time and beat until incorporated. Beat in molasses until combined.

Stir in flour mixture. Mix until just combined. If you want Giant cookies, use a 1/4 cup cookie scoop, if you want them smaller, use a 1/8 cup scoop. Roll the balls in sanding or demerara sugar.

Place the balls a few inches apart on ungreased sheets. Press down on them slightly.

Bake for 12 to 14 minutes, or until the cookies are puffy and golden. Let them cool for a few minutes before moving them. They will settle and crack a bit. It will make them even more beautiful!

So, I can never leave well enough alone. It is one of my quirks. This recipe lends itself to additions. Dried cranberries, pecans and chocolate chips. I liked all three together. The one thing I didn't do well with was white chocolate. The batter "ate" the white chocolate. I hate it when that happens! Is there a Harold McGee for Dummies book out there somewhere?

The other thing these are wonderful for, is Ice Cream Sandwiches, especially peach ice cream. Make the Giant cookies, load them up with ice cream, roll the edges in nuts, wrap them up and put them back in the fridge for 4 to 6 hours.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Anna :) These sounds so good - I can't wait to try a batch...maybe for Halloween?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tami! I hope you like them. I love anything with ginger!

    ReplyDelete