Sunday, October 12, 2008

Pumpkin Bread

It's the middle of October, and already everyone is in the spirit! Everywhere I look, there are pumpkins. Many people see them and think Halloween. I see them and think bread, pie, even soup....you get the point. That big orange thing is edible! Sure, it looks really cute with a funny face on it, and a candle inside, but if you get the right kind and you cook it.... Did I just lose you? OK, back up the bus! Go to the grocery store and buy a can of pumpkin! Are you with me now? Canned pumpkin is perfect for this recipe.

Back to the bread. This is one of the oldest recipes that I have. Someone gave it to my mother in the 70's and we have been baking it ever since. It is a family favorite. As with everything else, I have adapted it. I don't put in raisins because nobody in my house really likes them, but the recipe calls for them. I left them there to honor any purists because I think they "go". I like it best with chocolate chips in place of the raisins. I keep the walnuts. I like walnuts and so does the rest of my family. Besides, if you put chocolate chips in, maybe they won't notice that there is actually something good for them in there and refuse to taste it before they figure out that they actually like it.

Enjoy!


Pumpkin Bread


Combine and set aside:

3 ½ cups flour

2 tsp baking soda

2 tsp salt

1 tsp baking powder

1 tsp cinnamon

1 tsp nutmeg

½ tsp ginger

1 ½ cups walnuts

1 ½ cups raisins


Beat together:

3 cups sugar

1 cup oil

Add:

4 eggs-1 at a time


Beat in:

2 cups pumpkin

2/3 cup milk


Gently stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients.

Pour into greased and floured Bundt or tube pan. Bake at 325 degrees for 60 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment